Old 19-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Clematis Armandii

In article ,
les wrote:
In February I planted a Clematis Armandii. It had 2 growth shoots and these
have both grown strongly to about 6 foot. However, there are no signs of any
other shoots developing.

Should I cut back the two strong shoots to encourage other shoots to
develop? If so how far should I cut them back?

Provided that you leave at least a couple of nodes on young wood,
as hard as you like. You can pinch out shoots ad lib. to make it
bush out during the growing season, provide that you leave at least
one node on the current shoot to form new shoots from. While it has
only two shoots, I would tend to leave several nodes, but it depends
partly on the shape of space it is intended to grow into.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.