Old 19-04-2004, 08:13 PM
les

Default Clematis Armandii

In February I planted a Clematis Armandii. It had 2 growth shoots and these
have both grown strongly to about 6 foot. However, there are no signs of any
other shoots developing.

Should I cut back the two strong shoots to encourage other shoots to
develop? If so how far should I cut them back?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Les

Old 19-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
les wrote:
In February I planted a Clematis Armandii. It had 2 growth shoots and these
have both grown strongly to about 6 foot. However, there are no signs of any
other shoots developing.

Should I cut back the two strong shoots to encourage other shoots to
develop? If so how far should I cut them back?

Provided that you leave at least a couple of nodes on young wood,
as hard as you like. You can pinch out shoots ad lib. to make it
bush out during the growing season, provide that you leave at least
one node on the current shoot to form new shoots from. While it has
only two shoots, I would tend to leave several nodes, but it depends
partly on the shape of space it is intended to grow into.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:35:57 +0100, "les"
wrote:

In February I planted a Clematis Armandii. It had 2 growth shoots and these
have both grown strongly to about 6 foot. However, there are no signs of any
other shoots developing.

I planted one last summer and it hasn't done much yet. (naybe because
I accidentally cut through the main stem which was going along my
fence!) However my daughter planted one at the end of 2002 summer,
and this year it has gone mad and has been smothered with flowers and
has lots of long whippy growths.
Wait another year and you will see progress I am sure.
Should I cut back the two strong shoots to encourage other shoots to
develop? If so how far should I cut them back?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Les

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Carol Webster

I'm just adding to the troubles of armandii owners. Mine is about 2 years
old and had lovely flowers last spring. This year not a flower in sight and
a lot of the leaves are turning brown and dropping off. I think the wet
winter hasn't helped. On the plus side I can see new shoots emerging from
older ones so I'm hoping new growth will replace all the dead steams and
leaves.
Like Pam, please advise on maintenance would be appreciated.