Old 19-04-2004, 09:08 PM
kenty ;-\)

Default Getting a water supply into the garden ....

I am going to have a similar problem in my new house, which has as 150 ft
long garden.I am going to have two greenhouses and a veg plot which will
need a water supply & electric.The blue pipe is MDPE & screwfix do sell it,
it is £13.99 for 50m of 25mm .I am a gas engineer & this is alot cheaper
than a plumbing merchant I use,which sell the same pipe for 28.99 +vat.
www.screwfix.com when on the site put mdpe in to the search field ,you
should find all the pipe and fittings you require .I would try and go as
deep as 2 ft to prevent damage & for frost protection.You could phone your
water supplier for regulations on the depth.
Hope this helps

--Thanks Keith,UK.
"no spam here, thanks" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:46:58 +0100, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

"no spam here, thanks" wrote in message
.. .
This is such a basic question, I'm almost sorry to ask - but I can't
find a decent site to advise me ...

Is it that simple?

Why do you need a permanent water supply? Once filled, the water just

gets
pumped round so all you need is electricity. You can top it up with the
occasional watering can in the summer as long as you haven't put it in

full
sun. The rest of the year rain will keep it topped up. If you can stand

the
wait, it would be better to fill with rain water anyway as tap water
contains too many nutrients so you often get a big initial bloom of

algae.

Good point: thanks. But the main purpose of running water all the way
down is to have access to it for the veg. plot anyway and to avoid
having to run hoses over long distances when/if I do need to have water.
The location gets a lot of sun through various parts of the day .... so
I may well need to provide some signficnat shade cover .. thanks for
the pointer!