Old 18-04-2004, 08:04 PM
no spam here, thanks

Default Getting a water supply into the garden ....

This is such a basic question, I'm almost sorry to ask - but I can't
find a decent site to advise me ...

I want to get a water supply into my garden ..... serving a 'water
feature' (wildlife friendly is my intention) as well as making it easier
to water my veggie plot.

At the moment I run a hose the 150' from my outdoor tap to the veg plot
(with some T's off which I connect hoses to water the tubs and
containers on the way down).

We're thinking of trying to establish a wildlife plot at the very bottom
of the garden (220' from the tap!) which will have some kind of 'boggy
bit'.

Would it be OK just to take a 'spur' off the pipe supplying the outside
tap and run a 15mm 'pvc'* pipe all the way to where the supply is
required, fitting a tap at the veg garden (150') and somewhere in the
wildlife garden (220') to support the 'pond', or whateve? Presure is OK
via a hosepipe, so I guess it should be OK (if not better?) when
properly 'plumbed'......

*by pvc I mean the 'plastic' pipe one can use push-fit connecters with
.....)

I'd look at burying the pipe maybe 9" - 12" deep in a place I'd not
normally dig over ...

Is it that simple?
Old 18-04-2004, 08:05 PM
the q

Is it that simple?

not quite!! you would be best using the blue plastic pipe made for the
purpose, have a look at the screwfix site and you'll find the stuff,
although it's available in many places.
any hose outlet to the garden / pond etc is required to have a one way
valve to stop "foul water" being drawn into the mains. This would be covered
if you used the correct blue pipe and then used a standard garden tap kit on
the far end as these now include the one way vale in the tap (there is a
bylaw number for it but I can't remmmember that!!!

The Q

Old 18-04-2004, 11:07 PM
David Hill

"........... I'd look at burying the pipe maybe 9" - 12" deep in a place I'd
not normally dig over .........."

I would try for 15 to 18 inches if possible. After all it may not always be
you "Not digging",

You should use the blue "Water" pipe, and remember you can always put in one
or 2 "T" joints to have a couple more taps down the length of the garden.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 19-04-2004, 08:07 AM
Martin Sykes

"no spam here, thanks" wrote in message
[...]

....)

I'd look at burying the pipe maybe 9" - 12" deep in a place I'd not
normally dig over ...

Is it that simple?

Why do you need a permanent water supply? Once filled, the water just gets
pumped round so all you need is electricity. You can top it up with the
occasional watering can in the summer as long as you haven't put it in full
sun. The rest of the year rain will keep it topped up. If you can stand the
wait, it would be better to fill with rain water anyway as tap water
contains too many nutrients so you often get a big initial bloom of algae.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 19-04-2004, 09:03 AM
no spam here, thanks

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:46:58 +0100, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

"no spam here, thanks" wrote in message
.. .
This is such a basic question, I'm almost sorry to ask - but I can't
find a decent site to advise me ...

Is it that simple?

Why do you need a permanent water supply? Once filled, the water just gets
pumped round so all you need is electricity. You can top it up with the
occasional watering can in the summer as long as you haven't put it in full
sun. The rest of the year rain will keep it topped up. If you can stand the
wait, it would be better to fill with rain water anyway as tap water
contains too many nutrients so you often get a big initial bloom of algae.

Good point: thanks. But the main purpose of running water all the way
down is to have access to it for the veg. plot anyway and to avoid
having to run hoses over long distances when/if I do need to have water.
The location gets a lot of sun through various parts of the day .... so
I may well need to provide some signficnat shade cover .. thanks for
the pointer!

Old 19-04-2004, 09:08 PM
kenty ;-\)

I am going to have a similar problem in my new house, which has as 150 ft
long garden.I am going to have two greenhouses and a veg plot which will
need a water supply & electric.The blue pipe is MDPE & screwfix do sell it,
it is £13.99 for 50m of 25mm .I am a gas engineer & this is alot cheaper
than a plumbing merchant I use,which sell the same pipe for 28.99 +vat.
www.screwfix.com when on the site put mdpe in to the search field ,you
should find all the pipe and fittings you require .I would try and go as
deep as 2 ft to prevent damage & for frost protection.You could phone your
water supplier for regulations on the depth.
Hope this helps

--Thanks Keith,UK.

Old 14-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenty ;-\) View Post
I am going to have a similar problem in my new house, which has as 150 ft
long garden.I am going to have two greenhouses and a veg plot which will
need a water supply & electric.The blue pipe is MDPE & screwfix do sell it,
it is £13.99 for 50m of 25mm .I am a gas engineer & this is alot cheaper
than a plumbing merchant I use,which sell the same pipe for 28.99 +vat.
Screwfix.com - Power Tools, Electrical, Plumbing Supplies & more when on the site put mdpe in to the search field ,you
should find all the pipe and fittings you require .I would try and go as
deep as 2 ft to prevent damage & for frost protection.You could phone your
water supplier for regulations on the depth.
Hope this helps
Hi all, I found this thread very useful as I want to do something similar.

However, I am going to have problem burying my hose in the first bit btween the back door and the grass as it is across a small paved terrace, and I don't fancy lifting concrete slabs. Will the blue hose degenerate under UV light (as most things plastic in the garden tend to) and should I therefore protect it from sunlight (any suggestions?).

I was thinking of using a dual tap connector on our garden tap (so that I can continue to use the garden tap for other things. Should I just turn on the tap when I want water down the end of the garden, or can I leave it on with pressure in the blue hose all the time?

"no spam here" and "kenti" - did you manage your projects, and how have they stood up to time?

Many thanks