Old 20-04-2004, 01:04 AM
escapee

Default Bermuda; Not a Nice Lawn Grass . . . .

I remember Prodigy to about 1985ish. Before that, I think it was called Genie?
All I know is that it was me and other major geeks and nobody else. Prodigy was
a portal service, so it was a step up, but they handled the advent of the
Internet poorly and I believe shot themselves in the foot. AOL made major
headway and it the best "lay" service available, especially if you have
broadband. Now, I'm talking about for grandmothers and fathers, moms of 70 and
up, and people who just want email and surf a bit. For people who just want
Internet, broadband and Agent with a nice browser is the way...but you know
that!

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:53:08 GMT, "Chuck" opined:

I didn't know Prodigy was so old. I was a CompuServe person - I remember
arguing with them that they need to get an integrated Mosaic browser so we
could access the WWW - they didn't really think that would be as important
as Gopher or FTP!

"escapee" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:39:54 GMT, "Chuck"

opined:

Where were you on-line in the early 80s? Me too. DUN BBSs & Usenet.

Local BBSs and then in the mid-eighties I was on Prodigy. Me my husband

on
Prodigy BBs.

Had my fancy 286. LOL