Old 12-04-2004, 11:06 PM
God Bless Texas

Default Bermuda; Not a Nice Lawn Grass . . . .

"escapee" wrote

I was responding to the person who said they wanted to get rid of the

fescue and
St. Augustine from their bermuda lawn. In that case, stopping water will

indeed
kill the fescue and St. Augustine.

Oops, so you were. Top posting always confuses me . . .

Old 12-04-2004, 11:40 PM
escapee

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:39:24 GMT, "God Bless Texas"
opined:

"escapee" wrote

I was responding to the person who said they wanted to get rid of the

fescue and
St. Augustine from their bermuda lawn. In that case, stopping water will

indeed
kill the fescue and St. Augustine.

Oops, so you were. Top posting always confuses me . . .

I try to follow the way the poster before me posts. If someone bottom posts, I
do that as well. Being online since the early 80s, I have given up linear
thinking. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Victoria
Old 13-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Andyd

Once you have Bermuda, you might find if difficult to impossible to
ever get rid of it. I have pulled and pulled, froze, not watered in
the summer, etc. etc., it still comes back. It has pretty much wiped
out my Buffalo, even though I don't water the area and it gets baked
in the summer.

I believe in one of Howard Garrett's books he calls Bermuda one of the
most invasive weeds in the world. I believe it.

andyd

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 16:52:01 GMT, "Nixon, D" wrote:

Unwanted Bermuda Grass in a Blue Grass or Fescue lawn.

Anyone know of a reasonable way to rid my lawn of a large patch of
Bermuda Grass without also killing the blue grass and fescue growing
around and within it???

I thought the unusually cold winter we had this year might wipe out the
Bermuda. No such luck.

McDave

Old 13-04-2004, 08:36 PM
escapee

Considering the roots of bermuda can go deeper than 18 inches, I would agree
with his comment (J.Howard Garrett). However, it's a great turfgrass, so people
will continue to choose it and us who strongly oppose its use will always be
digging it out.

Victoria

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:39:13 GMT, Andyd opined:

Old 19-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Chuck

I found Bermuda to be much easier to control and maintain than St.
Augustine. Bermuda looks a hell of a lot better, stands up to wear better,
needs less water (eco-friendly) and is less invasive. My experience only.

Old 19-04-2004, 02:09 PM
escapee

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:39:54 GMT, "Chuck" opined:

Where were you on-line in the early 80s? Me too. DUN BBSs & Usenet.

Local BBSs and then in the mid-eighties I was on Prodigy. Me my husband on
Prodigy BBs.

Had my fancy 286. LOL
Old 19-04-2004, 02:09 PM
escapee

I don't understand how you can see it as less invasive, but that's what makes
the world go 'round!

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:39:54 GMT, "Chuck" opined:

I found Bermuda to be much easier to control and maintain than St.
Augustine. Bermuda looks a hell of a lot better, stands up to wear better,
needs less water (eco-friendly) and is less invasive. My experience only.

.. .

Old 20-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Chuck

I didn't know Prodigy was so old. I was a CompuServe person - I remember
arguing with them that they need to get an integrated Mosaic browser so we
could access the WWW - they didn't really think that would be as important
as Gopher or FTP!

Old 20-04-2004, 01:04 AM
escapee

I remember Prodigy to about 1985ish. Before that, I think it was called Genie?
All I know is that it was me and other major geeks and nobody else. Prodigy was
a portal service, so it was a step up, but they handled the advent of the
Internet poorly and I believe shot themselves in the foot. AOL made major
headway and it the best "lay" service available, especially if you have
broadband. Now, I'm talking about for grandmothers and fathers, moms of 70 and
up, and people who just want email and surf a bit. For people who just want
Internet, broadband and Agent with a nice browser is the way...but you know
that!

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:53:08 GMT, "Chuck" opined:

I didn't know Prodigy was so old. I was a CompuServe person - I remember
arguing with them that they need to get an integrated Mosaic browser so we
could access the WWW - they didn't really think that would be as important
as Gopher or FTP!

.. .

Zoysia vs Bermuda grass Clem Gardening 2 06-06-2003 06:32 PM
Eliminating Bermuda Grass Chris Haney North Carolina 2 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Bermuda Grass Bob Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Bermuda grass question Gene S Texas 7 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Eliminating Bermuda Grass Chris Haney North Carolina 2 17-02-2003 07:56 PM