Old 20-04-2004, 10:06 PM
grubber

Default Inexpensive Bio Balls or Rock for Bio Filter

"TomM in NY" wrote in message
I want to switch from using pea gravel to a better medium in my bio filter
(made out of a plastic milk crate with cut to size furnace filter

surrounding
the inside-the pea gravel was inside and my pump was in the middle of the

pea
gravel).
I cannot believe how much bio balls are....seems pretty expensive for

plastic
balls!!! Anyone have any cheaper suggestions?

Thanks,
tom

I'm experimenting with outdoor carpet. I got a 6x9 carpet from HomeDespot
for $19, left it outside during a thunderstorm to rinse well, then cut in
strips. The fibers have to have as much surface area as bioballs. Had to
weight it down with rocks, but otherwise, so far so good.