Old 20-04-2004, 07:06 PM
TomM in NY

Default Inexpensive Bio Balls or Rock for Bio Filter

I want to switch from using pea gravel to a better medium in my bio filter
(made out of a plastic milk crate with cut to size furnace filter surrounding
the inside-the pea gravel was inside and my pump was in the middle of the pea
gravel).
I cannot believe how much bio balls are....seems pretty expensive for plastic
balls!!! Anyone have any cheaper suggestions?

Thanks,
tom

Old 20-04-2004, 07:07 PM
Benign Vanilla

"TomM in NY" wrote in message
I want to switch from using pea gravel to a better medium in my bio filter
(made out of a plastic milk crate with cut to size furnace filter

surrounding
the inside-the pea gravel was inside and my pump was in the middle of the

pea
gravel).
I cannot believe how much bio balls are....seems pretty expensive for

plastic
balls!!! Anyone have any cheaper suggestions?

If you have a sawsall, you can but a length of 2'' PVC for a few bucks, and
chop it up into custom made bio balls.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 20-04-2004, 08:07 PM
really ka30p

I've heard of plastic hair curlers, plastic forks,
bags of vinyl screening, packing tape.

kathy :-)
(still use ka30p for email
this acct. is for reading rec.ponds only)

Old 20-04-2004, 10:06 PM
grubber

"TomM in NY" wrote in message
I want to switch from using pea gravel to a better medium in my bio filter
(made out of a plastic milk crate with cut to size furnace filter

surrounding
the inside-the pea gravel was inside and my pump was in the middle of the

pea
gravel).
I cannot believe how much bio balls are....seems pretty expensive for

plastic
balls!!! Anyone have any cheaper suggestions?

Thanks,
tom

I'm experimenting with outdoor carpet. I got a 6x9 carpet from HomeDespot
for $19, left it outside during a thunderstorm to rinse well, then cut in
strips. The fibers have to have as much surface area as bioballs. Had to
weight it down with rocks, but otherwise, so far so good.

Old 21-04-2004, 12:08 AM
news.verizon.net

Try wiffle golf balls or I had success with buying broken bags of lava rock
very inexpensively.

Rick