Old 21-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Trident maple and juniper problem

Hey guys,

I decided to switch my trident maple i got a few months ago to

a larger
training pot so the trunk will grow.

Problem is I made the switch and now it seems to be dying, i

have it in
a large pot and i have been watering it normally.

Billy is probably right, and here is a major part of the problem.
"Watering normally" is exactly what you do NOT do right after you
transplant -- even to a larger pot and assuming little root
disturbance.

Rest assured that roots WERE disturbed when you moved it. It
just can't take in the "normal" amount of water and the roots, as
a result, sit in soggy soil.

And then, as someone said, moving it right outside into the sun
reduced the leaves' ability to transpire -- keeping even MORE
water in the soil.

Check the roots as Billy said, then move it into the shade, give
it a light feeding, and do NOT water until the soil feels dry!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++