Old 21-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Mike

Default Outdoor paint for wood

"Rach" wrote in message
Hi,
Not sure of anyone might be able to offer me a little advice but here
goes...

What kind of paint (NOT woodstain) can I use in the garden - on fences,
sheds etc?

I am looking for an actual paint as opposed to varnish or stain and
hopefully looking for something Matt or Satin as opposed to gloss.

Thanks for any help

Rachael

All I can warn you is "The Future" :-((

I made a very 'pretty' paling fence which took a long time. The wooden posts
and the palings were cut to a jig. Drilled, sanded, primed, undercoated,
glossed, assembled and then given another coat of gloss. All white, all very
pretty.

2 years later, the paint looked 'worn and tatty'. The whole lot was taken to
pieces, (I had screwed it all together so it was quite easy), sanded,
primed, undercoated, glossed, reassembled and glossed.

About 3 years later it all looked so horrible I ripped the whole lot out and
re did the whole lot, (and all of this included a making another gate) in
plain sawn timber treated with a wood preservative.

All of my wooden windows have been replaced with UPVC Double Glazed Units.

My 2 pennyworth.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Newfoundland Association Reunion Hayling Island April 23rd - 26th
Royal Naval Reunion Eastbourne May 7th - 10th