Old 21-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Rach

Default Outdoor paint for wood

Hi,
Not sure of anyone might be able to offer me a little advice but here
goes...

What kind of paint (NOT woodstain) can I use in the garden - on fences,
sheds etc?

I am looking for an actual paint as opposed to varnish or stain and
hopefully looking for something Matt or Satin as opposed to gloss.

Thanks for any help

Old 21-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Bevan Price

"Rach" wrote in message ...
Hi,
Not sure of anyone might be able to offer me a little advice but here
goes...

What kind of paint (NOT woodstain) can I use in the garden - on fences,
sheds etc?

I am looking for an actual paint as opposed to varnish or stain and
hopefully looking for something Matt or Satin as opposed to gloss.

Thanks for any help

Any "outdoor" grade of paint - as used by house painters - should do. If the wood has not previously been painted, you
will first need to apply a wood primer coating. Check the paint colour charts in do-it-yourself stores like B&Q - these
usually tell you what grades of paint are OK for outdoor use.

Bevan

Old 21-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Mike Lyle

"Rach" wrote in message ...
Hi,
Not sure of anyone might be able to offer me a little advice but here
goes...

What kind of paint (NOT woodstain) can I use in the garden - on fences,
sheds etc?

I am looking for an actual paint as opposed to varnish or stain and
hopefully looking for something Matt or Satin as opposed to gloss.

Thanks for any help

Any paint intended for exterior woodwork will do for exterior
woodwork! I suppose you can even use exterior emulsion. Before
starting, it would be wise to consider a few things, though.

If the wood is already treated with certain preservatives, such as
creosote, paint may not adhere properly. You'd need to ask the shop,
and do an inconspicuous test patch -- best to leave the patch to
weather for a few weeks, too, as it might seem to stick at first, but
start cracking or flaking later.

If the wood *isn't* treated with preservative, paint won't give it any
real protection against rot or insect damage.

Because the kind of timbers you want to paint are rough, they'll need
a lot more paint than a smooth surface would; and it'll be harder work
slapping it on, too.

I imagine you've already decided that you won't mind repainting every
couple of years, and that any climbers or shrubs will continue to
allow you easy access as they grow: this kind of finish looks terrible
if it isn't perfect, and the roughness will probably encourage faster
weathering than you'd get on the woodwork of the house. Timbers in
contact with the ground will be particularly vulnerable, as water will
get in from the inside as well as the outside.

There are a few (dark) colours you can get in outdoor preservatives,
which might do the job better for you if you happen to like them:
check at the DIY shed, if necessary asking them to check their
suppliers for a wider range than they stock. Or you might get in touch
with the manufacturers direct.

Once it's dry, paint won't hurt plants, by the way.

I know what I'd do!

Mike.
Old 21-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Mike

"Rach" wrote in message
Hi,
Not sure of anyone might be able to offer me a little advice but here
goes...

What kind of paint (NOT woodstain) can I use in the garden - on fences,
sheds etc?

I am looking for an actual paint as opposed to varnish or stain and
hopefully looking for something Matt or Satin as opposed to gloss.

Thanks for any help

Rachael

All I can warn you is "The Future" :-((

I made a very 'pretty' paling fence which took a long time. The wooden posts
and the palings were cut to a jig. Drilled, sanded, primed, undercoated,
glossed, assembled and then given another coat of gloss. All white, all very
pretty.

2 years later, the paint looked 'worn and tatty'. The whole lot was taken to
pieces, (I had screwed it all together so it was quite easy), sanded,
primed, undercoated, glossed, reassembled and glossed.

About 3 years later it all looked so horrible I ripped the whole lot out and
re did the whole lot, (and all of this included a making another gate) in
plain sawn timber treated with a wood preservative.

All of my wooden windows have been replaced with UPVC Double Glazed Units.

My 2 pennyworth.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Newfoundland Association Reunion Hayling Island April 23rd - 26th
Royal Naval Reunion Eastbourne May 7th - 10th

Old 21-04-2004, 10:10 PM
LongyP

You got the right idea...steer clear of the water based stuff..tried it
myself a couple of years running and it always washes away or wears
down....just get yourself some exterior timber paint and you will be
sorted..

Old 21-04-2004, 11:08 PM
Robert E A Harvey

"Rach" wrote in message ...
Hi,
Not sure of anyone might be able to offer me a little advice but here
goes...

What kind of paint (NOT woodstain) can I use in the garden - on fences,
sheds etc?

I am looking for an actual paint as opposed to varnish or stain and
hopefully looking for something Matt or Satin as opposed to gloss.

There are a range of woodcolours for fencing etc. sold by firms like
Cuprinol (e.g. Woodland shades range) specifically for the purpose.
Other suitable finishes were all the range a few years ago, and often
called "ranch" paint ( I think that's a trade mark of International
paints). They are porous, and usually water based.

Go to a speciallist, not someone like B&Q. In our town is a family
firm called Stringers, been selling paint for 3 generations, will give
you all the advice you want.

Last tip: if there are animals involved (horses, goats, etc)
treble-check the suitability. Some may be toxic - others may taste
sweet and encourage vandalism!

old dead wood from a tree stronger than any other wood from that tree? Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 10 09-01-2005 08:14 AM
paint for exterior wood Rach Gardening 16 23-04-2004 02:03 PM
Watching paint dry William Tasso United Kingdom 3 13-04-2003 05:33 PM
WE PAINT FLOWERS ITER Australia 0 03-04-2003 12:20 PM
fencing Paint Howie United Kingdom 2 10-02-2003 09:16 AM