Old 21-04-2004, 11:08 PM
Robert E A Harvey

Default Outdoor paint for wood

"Rach" wrote in message ...
Hi,
Not sure of anyone might be able to offer me a little advice but here
goes...

What kind of paint (NOT woodstain) can I use in the garden - on fences,
sheds etc?

I am looking for an actual paint as opposed to varnish or stain and
hopefully looking for something Matt or Satin as opposed to gloss.

There are a range of woodcolours for fencing etc. sold by firms like
Cuprinol (e.g. Woodland shades range) specifically for the purpose.
Other suitable finishes were all the range a few years ago, and often
called "ranch" paint ( I think that's a trade mark of International
paints). They are porous, and usually water based.

Go to a speciallist, not someone like B&Q. In our town is a family
firm called Stringers, been selling paint for 3 generations, will give
you all the advice you want.

Last tip: if there are animals involved (horses, goats, etc)
treble-check the suitability. Some may be toxic - others may taste
sweet and encourage vandalism!