Old 22-04-2004, 06:04 AM
Kodiak

Default vegi filter

Very Nice Ingrid,
Got alot of ideas looking at your pond construction.
The carpet padding was a very interesting one.
So the Veggie filter is 12" deep I assume that's the
water depth? The trench is another 6" taller? What's that
piece you used to do the lip for the water falls? How do you
get such a clean finish with no liner sticking out? Do you just
trim the liner and then pinch down the excess with the wood
trim on top? What is that shelf about 1.5ft down only on one front wall?
Is that to sit your heater and Pump? Do you just run a hose from the
pump straight into the trench?
Can KOI actually jump out of a POND with that much headroom?
I like the winter stuff you did. Which part of the US do you live?
Sorry for all the questions....
....Kodiak

wrote in message
yes, here is shows details of building the veggie filter
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/2000/p2000.htm
yes, it does flow thru. and one year I put clumps of water celery in a row

and sure
enough, the ones got the water first got the biggest.
uhh.. I would recommend doing the veggie filter BEFORE filling the pond.

LOL.
the baskets are regular plastic pots. I turn one upside down and put the

plant on
top. filter is only 12" deep. at the beginning where the water goes in

(left side) I
rolled up some filter material and jammed it down into the box. some

rough stuff
first, then aquatic ecosystem reticulated foam right after the "corners"

and then a
roll of polyester batting supported by another roll of rougher stuff

closer to teh
water falls. The mulm builds up during the year.
this year I am absolutely, positively going to make a proper filter to get

all the
fine stuff out before the water goes into the filter. sigh.
no bottom drain, no skimmer (no leaves cause of the net). no idea how big

the pump
is, the Pond Lady sized it for me. got a UV hoodgie too.

"Kodiak" wrote:
Are you pumping the water into that wooden
tray atop of your pond, does the water flow
sequentially down the tray through all the plants
from Plant 1 to Plant 9 where it exits a waterfall
back into the pond?

Do you have any illustrations or pictures of the
pond construction, filter details, plant baskets, etc?
Do you have a bottom drain and a skimmer
at the other end of the pond (opposite waterfall)?
How big is your pump?

...Kodiak

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/