Old 22-04-2004, 01:05 PM
klara King

Default Garden design - paving stone size?

Michael Bartlett writes
I'm just about to rennovate my 8m (length) x 2.7m (width) little
garden. Just wanted to ask more of a design question with regards to
paving stone size. I'm battling to decide between using 300mm X 300mm
or 600mm X 600mm paving tiles and was wondering what aesthetic effect
either would have. I'm unsure as to wether the 600x600 (which would
only essentially be 4 tiles across) would make the garden look wider
because of the wider stones or wether it will look smaller because of
fewer stones.

Not sure about the effect of size - but for tiles in kitchens, etc. they
suggest laying the tiles at a 45-degree angle to the wall to make the
floor space look larger, so that might just work for paving as well.

You could try it all out with newspaper squares...
--
Klara, Gatwick basin