Old 22-04-2004, 02:06 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Mini-greenhouse plasic bag thingy

Hi,

I was tempted into buying a mini-greenhouse thing which is basically plastic
feet and spacers, plastic coated metal poles and wire shelves, and a plastic
bag with a zip in it to go over the whole shooting match.

Bought it at Glynweb for £15.

It is basically 3 shelves each of which will hold 3 standard seed trays. The
top shelf has considerably more height above it than the other 2.

I have it in the sun lounge with seed trays in, raising tomatos, cucumbers,
courgettes.

It seems to work pretty well, although I nearly fried the tomatoes the other
day and had to cover the whole thing whilst they had a chance to recover - I
sprayed them with a Killaspray containing rainwater and this revived them.

Put the max/min thermometer in to see what the temperature was.

In the sun lounge it is about 80F and inside this thing it was over 100F and
very humid.

Now considering removing the shelves, installing a seat, and having a
mini-sauna :-)

The plan is to move it outside as the weather imporved to provide a 'cold
frame' against one of the walls.

Just very impressed at how it keeps everything hot and humid, and wondering
if it can get too hot in there.
What is the maximum temperature that should be achieved?
Strangely, it didn't come with auto vents :-))

It has to be very close to the glass because otherwise there is not enough
light and everything gets leggy.

Cheers
Dave R