Old 22-04-2004, 02:06 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Mini-greenhouse plasic bag thingy

Hi,

I was tempted into buying a mini-greenhouse thing which is basically plastic
feet and spacers, plastic coated metal poles and wire shelves, and a plastic
bag with a zip in it to go over the whole shooting match.

Bought it at Glynweb for £15.

It is basically 3 shelves each of which will hold 3 standard seed trays. The
top shelf has considerably more height above it than the other 2.

I have it in the sun lounge with seed trays in, raising tomatos, cucumbers,
courgettes.

It seems to work pretty well, although I nearly fried the tomatoes the other
day and had to cover the whole thing whilst they had a chance to recover - I
sprayed them with a Killaspray containing rainwater and this revived them.

Put the max/min thermometer in to see what the temperature was.

In the sun lounge it is about 80F and inside this thing it was over 100F and
very humid.

Now considering removing the shelves, installing a seat, and having a
mini-sauna :-)

The plan is to move it outside as the weather imporved to provide a 'cold
frame' against one of the walls.

Just very impressed at how it keeps everything hot and humid, and wondering
if it can get too hot in there.
What is the maximum temperature that should be achieved?
Strangely, it didn't come with auto vents :-))

It has to be very close to the glass because otherwise there is not enough
light and everything gets leggy.

Cheers
Dave R

Old 22-04-2004, 04:12 PM
shazzbat

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

I would have said the sun lounge at 80deg was ideal for these
seeds/seedlings. It's going to get warmer than that when the sun comes out,
allegedly this is going to happen tomorrow.

Steve

Old 22-04-2004, 04:12 PM
martin

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:31:55 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

[...]

bearing in mind that it is 40 years since the Met Office abandoned
Fahrenheit, it's hard to laugh at French people, who still give house
prices in old Francs. The Bracknell Met Office HQ building, that was
new at the time has been abandoned for a new building in Exeter
because the old building is "falling apart and obsolete", but
Faharenheit lives on.
Old 22-04-2004, 07:13 PM
MissJuggs

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:13:48 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

I was tempted into buying a mini-greenhouse thing which is basically plastic
feet and spacers, plastic coated metal poles and wire shelves, and a plastic
bag with a zip in it to go over the whole shooting match.

I have a very tiny patio with a sunny corner, and one of these does as
greenhouse/cold frame/cat kennel as required.

However, you need to bring it in in the winter as the plastic covering
can get severely damaged. This has happened to mine, and I was
wondering if anyone knows a place I can go to to buy a new cover from?

Glenys

--
"A Newsweek poll said if the election were held today, John Kerry
would beat Bush 49 percent to 46 percent. And today, President Bush
Old 22-04-2004, 09:07 PM
shannie

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

I was tempted into buying a mini-greenhouse thing which is basically

plastic
feet and spacers, plastic coated metal poles and wire shelves, and a

plastic
bag with a zip in it to go over the whole shooting match.

Bought it at Glynweb for £15.

It is basically 3 shelves each of which will hold 3 standard seed trays.

The
top shelf has considerably more height above it than the other 2.

We had two of these for a couple of years before buying our greenhouse, we
found that buying staging for it was going to be very costly, as we'd gotten
the g/h for nothing and it had none. We used them without the covers as
staging and they worked so well we went off to argus and got two more,
they're great because they come apart and store easily when the seedlings
are finished and leave room for tomato and cucumber plants
Shannie

Old 22-04-2004, 09:07 PM
MissJuggs

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:56:17 +0100, "shannie"
wrote:

We used them without the covers as
staging and they worked

Hows about selling me the covers, then?

Glenys

Old 22-04-2004, 09:07 PM
shannie

wrote:

We used them without the covers as
staging and they worked

Hows about selling me the covers, then?

Glenys

Gone already Glenys, sorry
gave em to a friend who had similar, if you google on this group for around
this time last year I remember someone with the same problem and there is a
place in the uk (at least was, last year) that does them. I'll see if I can
find the reference, if I do I'll post it.

Sorry again
Shannie

Old 22-04-2004, 10:05 PM
MissJuggs

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:03:32 +0100, "shannie"
wrote:

gave em to a friend who had similar, if you google on this group for around
this time last year I remember someone with the same problem and there is a
place in the uk (at least was, last year) that does them. I'll see if I can
find the reference, if I do I'll post it.

Thank you very muchly, if you can. I _love_ my mini greenhouse, as a
greenhouse, and as a warmhouse/cold frame for hardening up seedlings
in tandem with a windowsill propagation system, but am dismayed by how
perishable the covers are.

Glenys

Old 22-04-2004, 11:11 PM
shannie

"MissJuggs" wrote in message year)
Thank you very muchly, if you can. I _love_ my mini greenhouse, as a
greenhouse, and as a warmhouse/cold frame for hardening up seedlings
in tandem with a windowsill propagation system, but am dismayed by how
perishable the covers are.

Glenys

See new thread
Shannie

Old 23-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Cuvapu

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in
:

Hi,

I was tempted into buying a mini-greenhouse thing which is basically
plastic feet and spacers, plastic coated metal poles and wire shelves,
and a plastic bag with a zip in it to go over the whole shooting
match.

[snip]

Just very impressed at how it keeps everything hot and humid, and
wondering if it can get too hot in there.

It can certainly get too hot. I roasted several trays full of begonias
one year. That taught me to keep an eye on it and to take the plastic off
on warm days.

Old 23-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Jason Pope

wrote:

I was tempted into buying a mini-greenhouse thing which is basically plastic
feet and spacers, plastic coated metal poles and wire shelves, and a plastic
bag with a zip in it to go over the whole shooting match.

I have a very tiny patio with a sunny corner, and one of these does as
greenhouse/cold frame/cat kennel as required.

However, you need to bring it in in the winter as the plastic covering
can get severely damaged. This has happened to mine, and I was
wondering if anyone knows a place I can go to to buy a new cover from?

Glenys

Homebase sells covers for greenhouses, dunno if they are the same but
they're only £9.99

Jason
--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

To Bag- or not to bag? Jos. Wheeler Lawns 25 10-04-2006 11:10 AM
indoor window extension thingy? bex Gardening 4 12-10-2004 01:16 AM
Lowe's siphon pond cleaner thingy... AngrieWoman Ponds 2 25-08-2003 05:03 AM
To bag or not to bag 2 Gene Moon Lawns 1 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
To Bag or Not to Bag Gene Moon Lawns 3 09-06-2003 03:08 PM