Old 22-04-2004, 06:02 PM
SugarChile

Default clover

Exactly. It's just like teaching kids about all the other large and small
dangers of the world. During the short time the clover is in bloom, they
should wear sandals and/or watch were they are stepping. It's an excellent
opportunity to teach them about what bees do, and why they are so important
in the grand scheme of things.

A lot of people have an almost irrational fear of bees and wasps, yet they
will unhesitatingly drive on the freeway and engage in other everyday risky
behaviors. I love to amaze the neighborhood kids by gently "petting"
bumblebees (a warm day, a good nectar/pollen source, and a gently touch, and
the bees will ignore you) and teaching them how to peacefully co-exist with
these creatures. If you don't panic and flail around, the bees and wasps
generally would prefer to leave you alone as well.

If you inadvertently disturb a yellowjacket nest, it can be a bit
problematic, I admit. If you are allergic to the venom, you have a
legitimate cause for concern, of course, but otherwise, what's the big deal?
I have loads of flowering plants, and rotting fallen fruit in the fall, and
I get stung perhaps once a summer, if that. It hurts for a bit, then it
goes away.

Sue

--

"philosopher" wrote in message
We have clover and bees and three kids and all co-exist peacefully. The
kids just needed to learn how to behave around them.

philosopher