Old 22-04-2004, 10:02 PM
paghat

Default clover

In article , "philosopher"
wrote:

We have clover and bees and three kids and all co-exist peacefully. The
kids just needed to learn how to behave around them.

philosopher

My great-grandparents had honeybees, plus there were wild bees all over
heck. We learned a healthy respect for short-tempered hornets, but the
bees were innocuous. Grampa owned all this protective equipment he
could've worn while working with the hives, but he never bothered to put
any of it on.

One family member had a bee allergy & being stung could have meant a
headlong rush for the hospital or he'd choke to death. Or so everyone
said, & he certainly was scared of the bees. Bu such an emergency never to
my recollection ever actually happened.

Anyhow, if Chris's idea of getting rid of clover because it attracts bees
made any sense, so would getting rid of ALL flowers & fruit trees of any
kind. In my garden I plant things TO attract pollinators, & bee-watching
can be as much fun as bird-watching. I'll even reach out & pet the bees
as they glean flowers.

-paghat the ratgirl

"C.Swartz" wrote in message
dps ) wrote...
Clover will not kill the grass. Clover is beneficial to a lawn. The
people who object to it probably don't like the white flowers.

The flowers are not the problem. It's the blasted bees! Bees and
children do not mix well.

-Chris

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"