Old 23-04-2004, 07:03 AM
culprit

Default Hyacinth out of season

"Amir Farnood" wrote in message
om...

Thank you for your response. I don't know why you are so amazed. I
am not highly educated and also I did acknowledge cluelessness in this
regard in my original post. But I am hoping one shouldn't need a
Ph.D. or an IQ of a genius to be able to grow flowers.

I honestly don't understand why the bulbs cannot be fooled into
believing it's the right time of the year by providing the ideal
environment for them.

they can be fooled. the easiest way is to put them in the refrigerator, in
a crisper drawer. don't put any other fruits or veggies in with them. they
should stay in there for about three months.

this site has good instructions on forcing hyacinths:
http://www.bulb.com/aboutspring/hyacinths.asp.

you can't purchase bulbs now, because they're still in the ground, using the
leaves to "recharge" through photosynthisys for next year's flowering.
they're dug up in fall, and need a cold dormancy period before they bloom
again. you can do this by leaving them in the ground, or forcing them
indoors.

-kelly