Old 22-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Amir Farnood

Default Hyacinth out of season

Hello all,

I am looking for information so that I can grow Hyacinths throughout
the year indoors, if it is possible. I just called around a few
nursuries and they all told me they are all out of bubls now and it
won't be until September or October before they get bulbs again.

As you can tell I am compeltely novice at this. I have these
questions:

- When Hyacinth bulbs are available again, can I just buy a whole lot
of them enough to have sufficient supply for the whole year so that I
can grow hyacinths throughout the year? Why are these bulbs not
available all year?

- I understand the Hyacinth is a Spring flower, but I am sure the
bulbs don't know anything about calendar systems, so with right
temperature, etc., they should come out and blossom. Why is it that I
only see Hyacinths in stores in early Spring time?

- I live in a sunny apartment with a small balcony. Can I grow
Hyacinth in my apartment or the balcony? Any time of the year?

- I would be grateful if you can either write instructions or point me
to an information source which shows me how to grow Hyacinths. I
couldn't find any useful web sites in this regard myself.

Thank you all in advance.

-Amir.
Old 22-04-2004, 02:04 AM
fran

To do this, you need to force the blooms. To my knowledge, this
involves a cold period of around 6 weeks in a dark area such as a
closet or garage. I belive we are talking a temp of around 30 F.
Once a bulb has been forced, most do not ever bloom again, so you
would have be replacing the bulbs constantly.

Others may know more, this is just my understanding of the issue.

Old 22-04-2004, 04:04 AM
Cereus-validus

There are so many flaws in your reasoning it is amazing.

Read up on Hyacinths and why exactly spring bulbs normally don't bloom at
other times of the year. Do a Google search.

Actually bulbs are genetically programmed to follow the calendar seasons but
not in the way you assume.

om...

Old 22-04-2004, 04:04 AM
Cereus-validus

That is how you can force them to bloom ahead of season not later.

The temp should be above freezing not below.

Old 23-04-2004, 05:02 AM
Amir Farnood

"Cereus-validus" wrote:

[...]

Hello Cereus-validus,

Thank you for your response. I don't know why you are so amazed. I
am not highly educated and also I did acknowledge cluelessness in this
regard in my original post. But I am hoping one shouldn't need a
Ph.D. or an IQ of a genius to be able to grow flowers.

I honestly don't understand why the bulbs cannot be fooled into
believing it's the right time of the year by providing the ideal
environment for them.

As for google searches, I had already done that before posting here.
Unfortunately, nearly all the hits were commercial or generalities;
none that would explain in detail how I can grow hyacinths.

Regards,

-Amir.

Old 23-04-2004, 07:03 AM
culprit

"Amir Farnood" wrote in message
om...

Thank you for your response. I don't know why you are so amazed. I
am not highly educated and also I did acknowledge cluelessness in this
regard in my original post. But I am hoping one shouldn't need a
Ph.D. or an IQ of a genius to be able to grow flowers.

I honestly don't understand why the bulbs cannot be fooled into
believing it's the right time of the year by providing the ideal
environment for them.

they can be fooled. the easiest way is to put them in the refrigerator, in
a crisper drawer. don't put any other fruits or veggies in with them. they
should stay in there for about three months.

this site has good instructions on forcing hyacinths:
http://www.bulb.com/aboutspring/hyacinths.asp.

you can't purchase bulbs now, because they're still in the ground, using the
leaves to "recharge" through photosynthisys for next year's flowering.
they're dug up in fall, and need a cold dormancy period before they bloom
again. you can do this by leaving them in the ground, or forcing them
indoors.

-kelly