Old 23-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Kodiak

Default vegi filter

Ingrid,
It's unbelieveable what you've done. Hope's
garden is that yours or a job you did for a freind?

I noticed you used cinder blocks to do the wall on
that one. What happenes if you don't build a frame
with greenwood plywood or cinder blocks? ie:
if you put the liner straight into the soil does the soil
eventually erode and destroy the pond wall?

When you say you built a pond for KOI not with KOI,
are you saying that KOI prefer steeper walls/sharp drop?
Why?

What did you use to prevent gravel from entering the pump
inlet in your bucket filter? Whyt not use lavarock instead of gravel?
....Kodiak

--
....Kodiak
wrote in message
"Kodiak" wrote:
Nice picture, didn't think of the 2" drip edge.

.... I didnt either, my friend the Pond Lady, Marilyn Buscher kept after

me. Like
putting duct tape over every screw or nail.
I knew the step was for something important.

...... since this is a pond for koi (not a pond with koi) I wanted sharp

drop, but
need just that one step that doesnt take away too much water.

What's on the bottom of the pond.

.... carpet padding and the liner. nothing else

Why do you hang the pump by the hose? Do you mean to have it midway into

the water?
.... yes, so there is no way if water started going all over it could

drain the pond
dry and stress/kill my fish. when the veggie filter gets going I dont

need the
bucket filter (http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/care/...re.html#BUCKET)

which
actually is a 5 gallon pail stuffed with filter material, not gravel and

hung by a
rope on the handle and hooked over a big screw in hook in the corner on

that 2" drip
edge.

Don't you want it on the bottom to maximize circulation?

.... the bottom doesnt seem to be getting crapped up. those koi are down

there
rooting around and anything on the bottom is getting mixed into the water

column and
getting removed. it is enough that the water pours back in on one side

and is
removed on the other.

You used a permalon liner?
Can you comment on using that vs. other liners like;
Vinyl, Xavan, EPDM Rubber, and PVC pond liners?

.... yes, permalon. http://puregold.aquaria.net/hopepond/page1/pp1.htm

is where I
used EPDM and after nearly getting a hernia I swore off using it. it is

nice and
heavy and ideal if somebody is in and out of the pond a lot. it stands up

to foot
traffic better. it is drapier too. but permalon is thinner and folds

nicely, altho
tight folds must absolutely be avoided (my friend the Pond Lady, Marilyn

Buscher
hint) cause stupid fish swim up them after food and can get jammed/caught

in the
folds and dont have good reverse, die and rot. I dont know anything about

the other
types of liners.

I was commenting on your Winter covering of the POND...
How many gallons total?

.... ahhhh.. yeah, easy on easy off. cheap dispo plastic not UV greenhouse

stuff.
1200-1600 or something like that. the veggie filter must be something

like 90
gallons cause I just filled it up to get it going again with the hoodgie

attachment
tells me how many gallons I've used. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.