Old 23-04-2004, 02:05 PM

Default vegi filter

"Kodiak" wrote:
It's unbelieveable what you've done. Hope's
garden is that yours or a job you did for a freind?

..... my first ponds at my mothers.
I noticed you used cinder blocks to do the wall on
that one. What happenes if you don't build a frame
with greenwood plywood or cinder blocks? ie:
if you put the liner straight into the soil does the soil
eventually erode and destroy the pond wall?

..... look at picture 2 http://puregold.aquaria.net/hopepond/page1/pp1.htm
we didnt know it was nearly pure sand. I mean all my mother's extensive gardens are
in clay. so the side was breaking down and the pond looked like hell. again, I
prefer the straight dropped walls and more formal look ponds. we moved before it was
finished I still have to get a wooden deck around the big pond.

When you say you built a pond for KOI not with KOI,
are you saying that KOI prefer steeper walls/sharp drop?
Why?

.......... keeps the predators out, increases the overall volume for the area.

What did you use to prevent gravel from entering the pump
inlet in your bucket filter? Whyt not use lavarock instead of gravel?

..... there is a basket on the end of the pump. in summer I just hang the pump in the
pond with the basket attached, it doesnt clog cause there isnt much in the pond. the
basket also keeps the fish from getting sucked onto the pump. but that small bucket
filter is for a 100 gallon rubbermaid. that gravel cleans up easily without ripping
up hands. lava rock is just too rough. gravel is just too heavy in a 5 gallon
bucket so I use netting and polyester batting and other filtering materials. as I
bring the bucket up I let the pump get the water out, then swing it out of the pond.
saves the back.
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/