Old 23-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default intro / blackberry control

"culprit" wrote in message

hi, i'm new. i just moved into a new construction home in Snohomish, WA -
in the convergence zone (yeah, that means it rains even more here than in
Seattle), that's USDA zone 8a, i think. i'm on a mostly level, one acre

lot,
with no landscaping and some sparse grass.
i'm slowly bringing things together, aerated and reseeded the lawn,
scattered some nasturtium and poppy seeds in the "beds", planted some

summer
bulbs and the obligatory "foundation plantings", and have been slowly
acquiring fruit trees for the front drive. i'm a first time homeowner, so
all of this is new territory for me. i'm of the low maintenance gardening
school, and i don't want to spend a lot of time weeding.

my problem is that my yard backs up to something called a "native growth
area". that would be wonderful, except that the area is completely

overrun
with (non-native) himalayan blackberry. and because our yard has such
sparse grass, the "lawn" is now *full* of blackberry sprouts. i've been
trying to get them with a scuffle hoe, but an acre is a LOT of land to

hoe.

do i have any hope of keeping my yard free of these invasive vines? i

can't
kill anything in the "native growth" area, so they'll constantly be

sending
out runners and spitting out seeds, and whatever else they do. i've read
that they can reproduce if you just drop a branch on the lawn. is there

any
hope for me? i've been having nightmares about "Still Life with
Woodpecker", by Tom Robbins.

tia
-kelly

Himalayan blackberries are pervasive in all parts of the PNW, so know that
you are not alone in this plight.. You need to maintain a buffer zone
between the "natural growth" area and the cultivated portion of your garden
by keeping the blackberries cut back and nothing planted for at least 6
feet. If you could fence off the area, that would help considerably, but if
that is not possible, routinely maintaining this open space will prevent the
encroachment of the vines onto your property.

Dealing with the shoots that pop up is another matter. Birds (and no doubt
the new construction activity) spread the seeds which can germinate years
after ripening and falling. If you routinely remove or treat with a
brush-killing herbicide, you will get them under control. 'Blackberry and
Brush Blocker' is an acetic acid based formulation that has proven
effective. It temporarily changes the soil pH so that growth is stifled, but
this will apply to any vegetation in the area. Use it BEFORE you plant
anything ornamental in this area. The plants must be in active growth and it
can take upto 6 months of periodic treatment. The soil will also need to be
neutralized before replanting (use lime and a soil test). Otherwise,
non-specific herbicides like RoundUp or Finale painted full strength on the
emerging shoots will help.

The good news is you have a ready source of delicious berries right off your
backyard. As unpleasant and weedy as the vines may be, the berries in August
are hard to beat - just think of all those pies, jams and cobblers you can
make!

pam - gardengal
also in the PNW