Old 23-04-2004, 04:02 PM
~El Gorda~

Default Can I MOW over BURLAP?

"Rebecca Webb" wrote in message
Greetings.

Trying to resurrect my lawn after seeing it destroyed by house renovations
(expansion). It never grew well along the shady side of the house, and
now that area is a six-foot-wide path the neighbors need to travel to
maintain their hedge. I'd like to throw seed, water well, put down
burlap, wait for growth, and then mow. The burlap, I'm told, will
dissintegrate. But surely it can't decompose as quickly as, say, straw
matting. If I try to mow once the grass is tall enough, is the burlap
going to get tangled in the mower and tear out the new grass?

If the grass never grew well in that spot before, why do you think it will
grow there now? As a general rule, grass and shade don't mix.