Old 23-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Rebecca Webb

Default Can I MOW over BURLAP?

Greetings.

Trying to resurrect my lawn after seeing it destroyed by house renovations
(expansion). It never grew well along the shady side of the house, and
now that area is a six-foot-wide path the neighbors need to travel to
maintain their hedge. I'd like to throw seed, water well, put down
burlap, wait for growth, and then mow. The burlap, I'm told, will
dissintegrate. But surely it can't decompose as quickly as, say, straw
matting. If I try to mow once the grass is tall enough, is the burlap
going to get tangled in the mower and tear out the new grass?

Thanks.

RW

(On the bright side, the rhubarb seems to have survived a summer in
buckets followed by late fall transplanting. Okay, yeah, that's hardly
surprising. What a great plant!)

--
Malfoy froze like a mudblood before a basilisk.
http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~webbrl/AnObedientHouse/
Old 23-04-2004, 04:02 PM
~El Gorda~

"Rebecca Webb" wrote in message
Greetings.

Trying to resurrect my lawn after seeing it destroyed by house renovations
(expansion). It never grew well along the shady side of the house, and
now that area is a six-foot-wide path the neighbors need to travel to
maintain their hedge. I'd like to throw seed, water well, put down
burlap, wait for growth, and then mow. The burlap, I'm told, will
dissintegrate. But surely it can't decompose as quickly as, say, straw
matting. If I try to mow once the grass is tall enough, is the burlap
going to get tangled in the mower and tear out the new grass?

If the grass never grew well in that spot before, why do you think it will
grow there now? As a general rule, grass and shade don't mix.

Old 23-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Rebecca Webb

In article , "~El Gorda~"
wrote:

If the grass never grew well in that spot before, why do you think it will
grow there now?

The burlap. Are you telling me I'm putting too much faith in it? My
thought is, even if it doesn't help grass grow (by containing the
moisture), it'll provide something environmentally-friendly to walk on
(i.e. keep folks out of the mud) until I can think what else to do.

As a general rule, grass and shade don't mix.

But (RW braces herself for the laughs) the grass seed bag said, "For full
shade."

RW

Old 23-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Gary

I agree with ElGorda - as Albert Einstein wrote: Insanity is doing
the same thing over and over and expecting different results... :-)
Gary

[IMG] code is On

Where can I find mowers that can mow taller? Sarah Houston Lawns 9 26-05-2008 08:08 PM
Where can I find mowers that can mow taller? Sarah Houston Gardening 3 24-05-2008 02:41 PM
Mow, mow, mow Srgnt Billko Lawns 3 19-05-2007 04:10 AM
To mow or not to mow snafu Gardening 9 26-09-2004 01:05 PM
how soon can i mow over new grass? MoJo United Kingdom 3 18-09-2003 09:15 AM