Old 23-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default flower or weed? help!

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
I'm not a master gardener, in fact I'm just a pure beginner. Last year I
spread some wild flowers around the side of my house and now lots of
things are growing over there. I'm not sure all of them are flowers
though. Take a look at these pictures and help me identify what is
growing over there. Thanks,

Dave

http://homepage.mac.com/davecalhoun/PhotoAlbum43.html

2196 is creeping buttercup, Ranunculus repens. It is a weed that indicates
poor soil fertility and poor drainage.

2190 and 2191 appear to be a member of the Boraginaceae family, most of
which are weedy annuals or biennials at best.

2192 is California poppy, Eschscholzia, a freely seeding annual.

2193 - haven't a clue :-))

2194 is most likely Linaria purpurea, aka toadflax,a weedy perennial that
also self-sows freely.

2195 is a lupine seedling. Could be native or cultivated - hard to tell at
this stage.

2190 & 2191, 2192, 2194 and 2195 could all be remnants of the wildflower
mix. 2196 is most definitely a weed.

pam - gardengal