Old 23-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Dave Smith

Default flower or weed? help!

I'm not a master gardener, in fact I'm just a pure beginner. Last year I
spread some wild flowers around the side of my house and now lots of
things are growing over there. I'm not sure all of them are flowers
though. Take a look at these pictures and help me identify what is
growing over there. Thanks,

Dave

http://homepage.mac.com/davecalhoun/PhotoAlbum43.html
Old 23-04-2004, 07:02 AM
culprit

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
I'm not a master gardener, in fact I'm just a pure beginner. Last year I
spread some wild flowers around the side of my house and now lots of
things are growing over there. I'm not sure all of them are flowers
though. Take a look at these pictures and help me identify what is
growing over there. Thanks,

Dave

http://homepage.mac.com/davecalhoun/PhotoAlbum43.html

my theory is that it's only a weed if you don't want it there. do you like
the way they look? do they add or detract from the garden? do they
obviously not belong? make your own decision. who cares what someone else
thinks of them.

the only weeds i know of are Himalayan blackberries, which i suspect have
roots that reach to hell itself.

-kelly

Old 23-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Janice

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:37:37 -0700, Dave Smith
wrote:

I'm not a master gardener, in fact I'm just a pure beginner. Last year I
spread some wild flowers around the side of my house and now lots of
things are growing over there. I'm not sure all of them are flowers
though. Take a look at these pictures and help me identify what is
growing over there. Thanks,

Dave

http://homepage.mac.com/davecalhoun/PhotoAlbum43.html

It's been a long time since I've been wandering about looking at
plants with names on them.. but I should be able to see if it's a weed
or not..and I'll give a guess at 'em .. I KNOW at least one ;-)

2196 a ranunculus buttercup .. if it sends out runners and had little
yellow flowers..then that's it.... sorta potentilla like but..then not
2190 not a weed.
2191 not a weed.
2192: California Poppy
..2193: depth of field .. the camera thought you were taking pictures
of the ground..take another picture and try to show the crown of the
plant if there is one as well as a good portion of the plant .. at
least for me. Someone else may know right off.. I don't want to say
WEED, because could be something..shrug
2194: I think it's linum.. blue flax.. with california poppies around
it
2195: Lupine

Now I'll see what the real answers are. I cannot pull the name outta
my head that I want to say for 2190, 2191.. brain ain't co-operating.
But there will be lots of folks who know!

Janice
Old 23-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Cereus-validus

One common definition of a weed is any plant that grows where you don't want
it!

Thank God you are not a master gardener, otherwise you would really be
confused!

The ones that are already blooming with small nondescript flowers are most
likely ones you want to remove.

Old 23-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Jim Elbrecht

wrote:

I'm not a master gardener, in fact I'm just a pure beginner. Last year I
spread some wild flowers around the side of my house and now lots of
things are growing over there. I'm not sure all of them are flowers
though. Take a look at these pictures and help me identify what is
growing over there. Thanks,

Dave

http://homepage.mac.com/davecalhoun/PhotoAlbum43.html

2196 is Cranesbill [Geranium maculatum]
2195 is . . . . . Lupine?

A couple others are familiar, but it will take some more coffee before
the names come to me.

Jim

Old 23-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
I'm not a master gardener, in fact I'm just a pure beginner. Last year I
spread some wild flowers around the side of my house and now lots of
things are growing over there. I'm not sure all of them are flowers
though. Take a look at these pictures and help me identify what is
growing over there. Thanks,

Dave

http://homepage.mac.com/davecalhoun/PhotoAlbum43.html

2196 is creeping buttercup, Ranunculus repens. It is a weed that indicates
poor soil fertility and poor drainage.

2190 and 2191 appear to be a member of the Boraginaceae family, most of
which are weedy annuals or biennials at best.

2192 is California poppy, Eschscholzia, a freely seeding annual.

2193 - haven't a clue :-))

2194 is most likely Linaria purpurea, aka toadflax,a weedy perennial that
also self-sows freely.

2195 is a lupine seedling. Could be native or cultivated - hard to tell at
this stage.

2190 & 2191, 2192, 2194 and 2195 could all be remnants of the wildflower
mix. 2196 is most definitely a weed.

pam - gardengal

Old 24-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Dave Smith

Thanks for the help. I'll yank the boraginaceae and leave the rest for
now. This side of the house isn't seen much so it is fun to see what
happens when I shake seeds out of a box.

Dave
Old 24-04-2004, 06:03 AM
B & J

http://homepage.mac.com/davecalhoun/PhotoAlbum43.html
2196 is creeping buttercup, Ranunculus repens. It is a weed that indicates
poor soil fertility and poor drainage.

2190 and 2191 appear to be a member of the Boraginaceae family, most of
which are weedy annuals or biennials at best.

2192 is California poppy, Eschscholzia, a freely seeding annual.

2193 - haven't a clue :-))

2194 is most likely Linaria purpurea, aka toadflax,a weedy perennial that
also self-sows freely.

2195 is a lupine seedling. Could be native or cultivated - hard to tell at
this stage.

2190 & 2191, 2192, 2194 and 2195 could all be remnants of the wildflower
mix. 2196 is most definitely a weed.

pam - gardengal

Great assessment! Usually "wild flower?" seed assortment contains seeds that
many people consider noxious weeds. There is little need to say a weed is a
plant growing in a place where gardeners don't want it. When buying a "wild
flower" seed assortment, know what the assortment includes.

John