Old 23-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Starlord

Default clover

When I was a kid and we lived in West Los Angeles, we had over 100
roses that bloomed all year round and we had a good sized viggie
garden too, and we always had bees around, and during the almost 10
years at that address, none of us got stung by a bee.

--
Dragons Must Fly when Thread's in the Sky

www.starlords.org

"SugarChile" wrote in message
Exactly. It's just like teaching kids about all the other large and

small
dangers of the world. During the short time the clover is in bloom,

they
should wear sandals and/or watch were they are stepping. It's an

excellent
opportunity to teach them about what bees do, and why they are so

important
in the grand scheme of things.

A lot of people have an almost irrational fear of bees and wasps,

yet they
will unhesitatingly drive on the freeway and engage in other

everyday risky
behaviors. I love to amaze the neighborhood kids by gently

"petting"
bumblebees (a warm day, a good nectar/pollen source, and a gently

touch, and
the bees will ignore you) and teaching them how to peacefully

co-exist with
these creatures. If you don't panic and flail around, the bees and

wasps
generally would prefer to leave you alone as well.

If you inadvertently disturb a yellowjacket nest, it can be a bit
problematic, I admit. If you are allergic to the venom, you have a
legitimate cause for concern, of course, but otherwise, what's the

big deal?
I have loads of flowering plants, and rotting fallen fruit in the

fall, and
I get stung perhaps once a summer, if that. It hurts for a bit,

then it
goes away.

Sue

--

"philosopher" wrote in message
We have clover and bees and three kids and all co-exist

peacefully. The
kids just needed to learn how to behave around them.

philosopher

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).