Old 23-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Rhodo no-go

On 22 Apr 2004 01:59:54 -0700, (IanW) wrote:

Hello,

I planted a rhododendron about 18 months ago in our Perthshire garden
(they thrive around here). However it has not grown at all in that
time and still bears the same flower buds as when planted.
It is still green and, apart from some nibble marks around the leaf
edges, seems to be alive.
Should I dig it up, check the root ball and replant?
Could there be some pest or disease at work?

Many thanks,
Ian
Scotland

Have you checked that it is still alive by scratching the bark with
your finger nail near the base of the stem to see if it's green
underneath? Did you plant it too deeply? Rhodies need to have their
root ball at the same level in the soil as they were in the pot you
got it in. Plant it too deep or heap soil over the roots and they
suffocate. Did you keep it watered in the summer? Was it mulched with
peat and/or leafmould to keep the roots cool and moist? Have you fed
it?

Failing any of those, then I can only suggest it's sulking and taking
time to settle in to it's new site. Time may cure it.

--
Chris