Old 24-04-2004, 12:02 AM
culprit

Default intro / blackberry control

"Janice" wrote in message

You cannot kill the non-native blackberries in the "native growth"
area? Is the "native growth" area yours or a community "park"

correct. the problem is that along with the invasive blackberries, there
are native "cascade" blackberries, salmon berries, and t(h)imble berries,
all of which *are* native. and you can't kill one without the other,
because they grow completely intertwined with eachother. the area is not a
park, it's a "protected wetland" because when the homes were built in my
area, this area was where all the rain water was directed to. with the
boggy conditions came some cool native wetland flora, birds, and other
animals, so it's now "protected". it's really a mess.

I would think that the first place I'd go is to the County Extension
agent office and take a sample .. not that they'll not know what
you're talking about unless what YOU have is something different than
the stuff that grows along the roads.. and talk to them about your
situation, can't kill the stuff close but not in your yard "proper"
and they'll probably know the best approach as it's a universal
problem in Washington and Oregon West of the mountains.

thanks for the suggestion, i think i'll do this.

-kelly