Old 24-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Frogleg

Default How Important is it to Remove old Stumps?

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:26:30 +0100, "Harry Ziman"
wrote:

We have had three very large conifer trees cur down from our garden leaving
stumps up to 24" across. Although unsightly these should disappear beneath
the new planting.

Is it important to remove the old stumps? For example could they harbour
diseases that could damage the new plants? Can I just leave them to rot.

The reasons to remove are usually aesthetic. If they present a
moderately level flat surface, they're handy as supports for potted
plants. As they rot, they can be used as planters. Well-rotted, they
can be pulled apart and disposed of easily. Stump-grinding is awfully
expensive here.