Old 23-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Brian

Default How Important is it to Remove old Stumps?

They should cause no problems. Best left alone.
Best Wishes
"Harry Ziman" wrote in message
We have had three very large conifer trees cur down from our garden

leaving
stumps up to 24" across. Although unsightly these should disappear beneath
the new planting.

Is it important to remove the old stumps? For example could they harbour
diseases that could damage the new plants? Can I just leave them to rot.

Any views or experiences very welcome.

Thanks

Old 24-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:26:30 +0100, "Harry Ziman"
wrote:

We have had three very large conifer trees cur down from our garden leaving
stumps up to 24" across. Although unsightly these should disappear beneath
the new planting.

Is it important to remove the old stumps? For example could they harbour
diseases that could damage the new plants? Can I just leave them to rot.

The reasons to remove are usually aesthetic. If they present a
moderately level flat surface, they're handy as supports for potted
plants. As they rot, they can be used as planters. Well-rotted, they
can be pulled apart and disposed of easily. Stump-grinding is awfully
expensive here.
Old 24-04-2004, 09:04 PM
David Hill

".............. We have had three very large conifer trees cur down from
our garden leaving stumps up to 24" across. Although unsightly these should
disappear beneath the new planting........."

If you had left them at around 6 to 7ft they would have made great support
for climbers.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Liz

Harry Ziman wrote in message
We have had three very large conifer trees cur down from our garden

leaving
stumps up to 24" across. Although unsightly these should disappear beneath
the new planting.

Is it important to remove the old stumps? For example could they harbour
diseases that could damage the new plants? Can I just leave them to rot.

Any views or experiences very welcome.

Thanks

I had several shrubs die unexpectedly. Investigation revealed Honey Fungus,
which had spread via 'bootlace' roots from dead stumps of laurel and
laburnum. Conifers are notorious for harbouring honey fungus. Since I dug
out the stumps I've had no problems.

Liz

Old 25-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Harry Ziman

I know nothing about honey fungus? Is it likely to be prevalent in Cheshire?
At present we have no problems of this type.

Thanks

Old 26-04-2004, 06:07 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Harry Ziman
writes
I know nothing about honey fungus? Is it likely to be prevalent in Cheshire?
At present we have no problems of this type.

It's one of the commonest fungi in the UK and present in most of our
woodlands.

Thanks
"Liz" wrote in message

[...]

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Franz Heymann

"Harry Ziman" wrote in message

I know nothing about honey fungus? Is it likely to be prevalent in

Cheshire?
At present we have no problems of this type.

There is a lot of rubbish spoken about honey fungus. It usually
attacks only wounded plants. It is also a delicious mushroom for
eating. Fry the young caps in butter flavoured with garlic. But
please make hundred percent certain you have identified it correctly
before eating it.

[snip]

Franz

Old 28-04-2004, 09:06 PM
gitfinger

I have pulled many conifer stumps with nothing more than a car and a rope.
If you can't get the car near, try a portable winch from a hire shop.
The roots are shallow and they pull up easy......

Git