Old 24-04-2004, 06:02 PM
omi

Default Anyone ever get Bermuda grass out of a garden?

Here is my situation I have a 10,000 M/L sq ft garden in
Lufkin TX. My soil is a nice sandy loam. I have been
raising a garden in the same spot for close to 15 years.
When I started there was no bermuda grass in it but over the
years using the roto tiller I have managed to spread it over
aproximately 60% of the garden area. I till but it survives
in among the plants. I tried spraying the area with roundup
as a last resort last spring but it was a waste of money.
Is there any sage advice you can give to git rid of that
grass, or convince me that bermuda grass is not hurting the
garden other than my desire for a garden free of grass.
Thanks
Kenny

ps Just got my Mantis till yesterday
All walk ways nicely tilled and bermuda grass free.

In our region (SW Low Desert), if you irrrigate you will get Bermuda grass.
It is spread by birds, wind, people and probably some other things. It is
the easiest lawn grasss to grow and maintain and landscapers, garden
centers, cooperative extension and others keep recommending it. So one
needs to develop a tolerance level. Because of its allergenic properties,
there is a city ordinance against letting it go to seed but it is not
enforced - the city is one of the biggest violators of the ordinance.

Before rototilling, I always dig out whatever I can with a long spade.
Later , whenever I see it in the vegetable garden, I dig it it out with a
long slim trowel and get as much of the root as possible, down to a foot or
so. This discourages it for week or so before it reemerges. On landscape
plants, you can keep it under control by wearing a cotton glove over a latex
glove, spray the gloved hand with Roundup or any of the other glyphosate
compounds, grab the foliage and stroke it. But you will need to do all of
this every week or so. Olin