Old 24-04-2004, 02:03 AM
kenny

Default Anyone ever get Bermuda grass out of a garden?

Here is my situation I have a 10,000 M/L sq ft garden in
Lufkin TX. My soil is a nice sandy loam. I have been
raising a garden in the same spot for close to 15 years.
When I started there was no bermuda grass in it but over the
years using the roto tiller I have managed to spread it over
aproximately 60% of the garden area. I till but it survives
in among the plants. I tried spraying the area with roundup
as a last resort last spring but it was a waste of money.
Is there any sage advice you can give to git rid of that
grass, or convince me that bermuda grass is not hurting the
garden other than my desire for a garden free of grass.
Thanks
Kenny

ps Just got my Mantis till yesterday
All walk ways nicely tilled and bermuda grass free.

Old 24-04-2004, 05:03 PM
FarmerDill

Here is my situation I have a 10,000 M/L sq ft garden in
Lufkin TX. My soil is a nice sandy loam. I have been
raising a garden in the same spot for close to 15 years.
When I started there was no bermuda grass in it but over the
years using the roto tiller I have managed to spread it over
aproximately 60% of the garden area. I till but it survives
in among the plants. I tried spraying the area with roundup
as a last resort last spring but it was a waste of money.
Is there any sage advice you can give to git rid of that
grass, or convince me that bermuda grass is not hurting the
garden other than my desire for a garden free of grass.
Thanks
Kenny

ps Just got my Mantis till yesterday
All walk ways nicely tilled and bermuda grass free.

There are wire grasses that are more agressive than Bermuda so be thankful. My
father use to say that the only way to get rid of a wire grass was to die and
leave it. It is extremely difficult to remove from an open or cultivated plot.
I usually just try to keep it down with drag cultivation. ie coulters that
catch the rhizomes and pull them to the surface. In a small plot a hoe fork
(potato hoe) will do the job. Key is removing those "wires"

Old 24-04-2004, 06:02 PM
omi

Here is my situation I have a 10,000 M/L sq ft garden in
Lufkin TX. My soil is a nice sandy loam. I have been
raising a garden in the same spot for close to 15 years.
When I started there was no bermuda grass in it but over the
years using the roto tiller I have managed to spread it over
aproximately 60% of the garden area. I till but it survives
in among the plants. I tried spraying the area with roundup
as a last resort last spring but it was a waste of money.
Is there any sage advice you can give to git rid of that
grass, or convince me that bermuda grass is not hurting the
garden other than my desire for a garden free of grass.
Thanks
Kenny

ps Just got my Mantis till yesterday
All walk ways nicely tilled and bermuda grass free.

In our region (SW Low Desert), if you irrrigate you will get Bermuda grass.
It is spread by birds, wind, people and probably some other things. It is
the easiest lawn grasss to grow and maintain and landscapers, garden
centers, cooperative extension and others keep recommending it. So one
needs to develop a tolerance level. Because of its allergenic properties,
there is a city ordinance against letting it go to seed but it is not
enforced - the city is one of the biggest violators of the ordinance.

Before rototilling, I always dig out whatever I can with a long spade.
Later , whenever I see it in the vegetable garden, I dig it it out with a
long slim trowel and get as much of the root as possible, down to a foot or
so. This discourages it for week or so before it reemerges. On landscape
plants, you can keep it under control by wearing a cotton glove over a latex
glove, spray the gloved hand with Roundup or any of the other glyphosate
compounds, grab the foliage and stroke it. But you will need to do all of
this every week or so. Olin

Old 24-04-2004, 07:03 PM
simy1

kenny wrote in message . ..
Here is my situation I have a 10,000 M/L sq ft garden in
Lufkin TX. My soil is a nice sandy loam. I have been
raising a garden in the same spot for close to 15 years.
When I started there was no bermuda grass in it but over the
years using the roto tiller I have managed to spread it over
aproximately 60% of the garden area. I till but it survives
in among the plants. I tried spraying the area with roundup
as a last resort last spring but it was a waste of money.
Is there any sage advice you can give to git rid of that
grass, or convince me that bermuda grass is not hurting the
garden other than my desire for a garden free of grass.
Thanks
Kenny

Obviously by rototilling you are continuously kicking up new seeds,
not to mention damaging the soil structure.
If you are willing to go one season with plants only, cover the garden
with cardboard or newspaper, cover it all with woodchips or leaves,
and then plant through the mulch. The existing grass will die. Don't
rototill as earthworms should be doing that for you, without kicking
up new seeds. Later (two years down the line maybe) when the mulch is
consumed, existing seeds will float up and you may have to either weed
or repeat the treatment. What's the point of rototilling a sandy loam
anyway?
Old 25-04-2004, 05:04 AM
kenny

On 24 Apr 2004 10:36:56 -0700, (simy1)
wrote:

kenny wrote in message . ..
[...]

I always till the garden in the spring to till under all the
winter grass.
I have a mantis cultivator that I use now to weed the rows.
Just got the mantis last Thursday. Dont know if it will
help eliminate the weeds tho.
THanks
kenny

Old 26-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Rez

In article , kenny wrote:
Here is my situation I have a 10,000 M/L sq ft garden in
Lufkin TX. My soil is a nice sandy loam. I have been
raising a garden in the same spot for close to 15 years.
When I started there was no bermuda grass in it but over the
years using the roto tiller I have managed to spread it over
aproximately 60% of the garden area. I till but it survives
in among the plants. I tried spraying the area with roundup
as a last resort last spring but it was a waste of money.
Is there any sage advice you can give to git rid of that
grass, or convince me that bermuda grass is not hurting the
garden other than my desire for a garden free of grass.

If you are using manure, especially horse manure, be sure the horses
are not being fed bermuda grass hay. The seeds survive the passage
thru the horse and sprout like little weeds wherever the manure is
spread. This is how I got all my bermuda grass! No rototiller
required.

There are chemicals that specifically kill bermuda grass, tho I don't
know if they are safe for an edibles garden. Myself, I just be
diligent with the potato fork. If you pull it up carefully, and it's
less than a year or two old, you can usually get most of the rhizome,
but in some soils it can get over 6 feet deep, so once established
it's really hard to get rid of.

~REZ~
(just passing through

Tillers - and breaking bermuda grass for a garden [email protected] Gardening 5 15-03-2007 06:38 PM
Status of Tomatoes grown in Central NJ (Monmouth County) garden [willthey ever get red ?] Justa Lurker Edible Gardening 5 22-09-2005 12:16 PM
Bermuda Grass Bob Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Bermuda grass question Gene S Texas 7 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Eliminating Bermuda Grass Chris Haney North Carolina 2 17-02-2003 07:56 PM