Old 24-04-2004, 07:03 PM
simy1

Default When Do I plant My Tomatoes ?

(Al Dykes) wrote in message ...
I live in an area where three zones meet on the zone map.
It seems to me that instead of guessing my effective zone, planting
tomatoes comes down to soil temperature and the expected minimum
nighttime temperature.

Does anyone plant this way ?

yes. If you have raised beds, soil temp does not matter (the beds will
be ready long before nightime temps are ready). Nighttime temps above
50 is the most important thing. If you don't have raised beds you will
have to ask someone else. Keep in mind local microclimates. I have
measured differences of up to 8F between my patio and my garden in the
early morning (patio is high, garden is low).