Old 24-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Liz

Default How Important is it to Remove old Stumps?

Harry Ziman wrote in message
We have had three very large conifer trees cur down from our garden

leaving
stumps up to 24" across. Although unsightly these should disappear beneath
the new planting.

Is it important to remove the old stumps? For example could they harbour
diseases that could damage the new plants? Can I just leave them to rot.

Any views or experiences very welcome.

Thanks

I had several shrubs die unexpectedly. Investigation revealed Honey Fungus,
which had spread via 'bootlace' roots from dead stumps of laurel and
laburnum. Conifers are notorious for harbouring honey fungus. Since I dug
out the stumps I've had no problems.

Liz