Old 25-04-2004, 03:04 AM
Dave Poole

Default Zebra Grass

I've responded to this via garden banter and accessing via Agent it
does not appear - I'm going back to using Agent and will repost this:

Are you sure you're not referring to 'Gardeners Garters' - Phalaris
arundinacea 'Variegata'? This can be a pernicious and highly invasive
weed if not kept in check. 'Zebra grass' - Miscanthus sinensis
'Zebrinus' is by contrast, well-mannered and a delight in almost any
garden situation. The former has white stripes along the leaves,
whereas the latter has soft yellow stripes across the leaves.

The Miscanthus will tolerate a wide range of conditions and can be
kept in a large container if wished. Ideally it should be planted in a
sunny or very lightly shaded spot in moist, fertile soil. It gradually
forms a dense clump up to 1 metre across and nearly 2m. high when
established. It can be divided in spring if it becomes too large. It
is never invasive and makes a bold statement if planted in a prominent
position.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.