Old 24-04-2004, 10:10 AM
Mike R

Default Zebra Grass

Hi,

As a total novice...We bought some Zebra grass from a garden center last
year. What should we have done to it over the winter? Where should we have
planted it? and what are the consequences of not doing this? Are they a
tough grass or do they need a little TLC?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Old 24-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike R" wrote in message
Hi,

As a total novice...We bought some Zebra grass from a garden center

last
year. What should we have done to it over the winter? Where should

we have
planted it? and what are the consequences of not doing this? Are

they a
tough grass or do they need a little TLC?

It is as tough and as invasive as any weed I know. You are going to
have fun keeping it under control. {:-))

Franz

Old 24-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Jason Pope

Mike R wrote:
Hi,

As a total novice...We bought some Zebra grass from a garden center last
year. What should we have done to it over the winter? Where should we have
planted it? and what are the consequences of not doing this? Are they a
tough grass or do they need a little TLC?

Thanks in advance

Mike

I regard the damn stuff as a weed, can't kill the devil as much as I try!
Should be ok, new shhots should start coming up soon.

SK

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

Old 24-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Are you sure you're not referring to 'Gardeners Garters' - Phalaris arundinacea 'Variegata'? This can be a pernicious and highly invasive weed if not kept in check. 'Zebra grass' - Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus' is by contrast, well-mannered and a delight in almost any garden situation. The former has white stripes along the leaves, whereas the latter has soft yellow stripes across the leaves.

The Miscanthus will tolerate a wide range of conditions and can be kept in a large container if wished. Ideally it should be planted in a sunny or very lightly shaded spot in moist, fertile soil. It gradually forms a dense clump up to 1 metre across and nearly 2m. high when established. It can be divided in spring if it becomes too large. It is never invasive and makes a bold statement if planted in a prominent position.
Old 25-04-2004, 03:04 AM
Dave Poole

I've responded to this via garden banter and accessing via Agent it
does not appear - I'm going back to using Agent and will repost this:

[...]

Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

zebra grass seeds davidt Marketplace 0 21-01-2006 05:50 PM
Zebra Grass - Plant from seeds? Lawns 0 23-09-2005 11:42 PM
zebra-striped catepillars shsnow Edible Gardening 5 13-08-2003 05:03 AM
Zebra Plant Becoming Palm Tree? Chaz Vincent Gardening 0 29-05-2003 05:20 AM
Zebra lost its stripes Dick Marjanovic United Kingdom 4 09-05-2003 09:08 PM