Old 25-04-2004, 05:04 AM
kenny

Default Anyone ever get Bermuda grass out of a garden?

On 24 Apr 2004 10:36:56 -0700, (simy1)
wrote:

kenny wrote in message . ..
Here is my situation I have a 10,000 M/L sq ft garden in
Lufkin TX. My soil is a nice sandy loam. I have been
raising a garden in the same spot for close to 15 years.
When I started there was no bermuda grass in it but over the
years using the roto tiller I have managed to spread it over
aproximately 60% of the garden area. I till but it survives
in among the plants. I tried spraying the area with roundup
as a last resort last spring but it was a waste of money.
Is there any sage advice you can give to git rid of that
grass, or convince me that bermuda grass is not hurting the
garden other than my desire for a garden free of grass.
Thanks
Kenny

Obviously by rototilling you are continuously kicking up new seeds,
not to mention damaging the soil structure.
If you are willing to go one season with plants only, cover the garden
with cardboard or newspaper, cover it all with woodchips or leaves,
and then plant through the mulch. The existing grass will die. Don't
rototill as earthworms should be doing that for you, without kicking
up new seeds. Later (two years down the line maybe) when the mulch is
consumed, existing seeds will float up and you may have to either weed
or repeat the treatment. What's the point of rototilling a sandy loam
anyway?

I always till the garden in the spring to till under all the
winter grass.
I have a mantis cultivator that I use now to weed the rows.
Just got the mantis last Thursday. Dont know if it will
help eliminate the weeds tho.
THanks
kenny