Old 25-04-2004, 06:04 AM
plantsman

Default just how wind-resistant is vivax?

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
sam wrote in message

. ..
I would like to plant some but since it is thin-walled, I am worried
about whether or not it could handle the winds from our springtime
thunderstorms. Would it take seriously strong winds to break it or
would even moderate winds (say 40-50 mph) be a threat? Winds of that
nature are very common here in spring.

LAst year after winterkilling to the ground my vivax made a recovery
reaching about 12' and then most were snapped in half by spring rain
and wind just as they were leafing out.

What part of the world are you in? My P. vivax has withstood 8°F for a
couple of nights without visible damage. Yes, after reading your post, I am
concerned with the spring "monsoons" we can get here. I was more concerned
this winter with all of the snow on them that forced them to the ground.
Come to think of it, that may be the culprit behind the leaning culms, at
least as far as weakening them so that they were a little loose at the
rhizome junction. Hmm...

David Sizemore