Old 23-04-2004, 06:03 AM
sam

Default just how wind-resistant is vivax?

I would like to plant some but since it is thin-walled, I am worried
about whether or not it could handle the winds from our springtime
thunderstorms. Would it take seriously strong winds to break it or
would even moderate winds (say 40-50 mph) be a threat? Winds of that
nature are very common here in spring.
Old 23-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Bert

Hi Sam,

One year old culms will most likely withstand your winds. However the new
shoots of vivax or any other bamboo will have a difficult time.

Bert

Old 24-04-2004, 09:03 AM
plantsman

"sam" wrote in message
I would like to plant some but since it is thin-walled, I am worried
about whether or not it could handle the winds from our springtime
thunderstorms. Would it take seriously strong winds to break it or
would even moderate winds (say 40-50 mph) be a threat? Winds of that
nature are very common here in spring.

=====================
Several of my 12'-15' culms from last year are at somewhat of an angle. I
have my doubts as to them straightening up any but you never know. Mostly
these are ones that sprouted up some distance from the original planting,
where they are closer together. We had a rather lengthy period of windy
days and then thunderstorms that did it to them. I don't think there's much
danger of them breaking, although one of my young P. aureosulcata's did have
one culm break off in those storms. Right now my new P. vivax culms that
popped up a couple of weeks ago are over six feet tall. I'm hoping that we
don't have any more severe weather for awhile that might affect them. 40-50
mph winds are hardly moderate, at least here in NE Tennessee. Tropical
Storm is minimum 39 mph with Hurricanes starting at 74 mph.

David Sizemore
Kingsport, TN (Zone 6a)

Old 24-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Beecrofter

sam wrote in message . ..
I would like to plant some but since it is thin-walled, I am worried
about whether or not it could handle the winds from our springtime
thunderstorms. Would it take seriously strong winds to break it or
would even moderate winds (say 40-50 mph) be a threat? Winds of that
nature are very common here in spring.

LAst year after winterkilling to the ground my vivax made a recovery
reaching about 12' and then most were snapped in half by spring rain
and wind just as they were leafing out.
Old 25-04-2004, 06:04 AM
plantsman

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
sam wrote in message

. ..
I would like to plant some but since it is thin-walled, I am worried
about whether or not it could handle the winds from our springtime
thunderstorms. Would it take seriously strong winds to break it or
would even moderate winds (say 40-50 mph) be a threat? Winds of that
nature are very common here in spring.

LAst year after winterkilling to the ground my vivax made a recovery
reaching about 12' and then most were snapped in half by spring rain
and wind just as they were leafing out.

=======================

What part of the world are you in? My P. vivax has withstood 8°F for a
couple of nights without visible damage. Yes, after reading your post, I am
concerned with the spring "monsoons" we can get here. I was more concerned
this winter with all of the snow on them that forced them to the ground.
Come to think of it, that may be the culprit behind the leaning culms, at
least as far as weakening them so that they were a little loose at the
rhizome junction. Hmm...

David Sizemore

Old 25-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Beecrofter

Although the USDA claims I am in the warmer part of zone 6 I recorded
-12°F here with below zero temps for a day or two on either side.
I am pushing the zone a bit but so far the rhizomes have survived.
Half of my yellowgroove is looking very ratty with leaf branch and
culm death depending on the microclimate and wind exposure.
No sign of new shoots yet in SE CT USA
Old 26-04-2004, 01:03 AM
plantsman

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
m...
Although the USDA claims I am in the warmer part of zone 6 I recorded
-12°F here with below zero temps for a day or two on either side.
I am pushing the zone a bit but so far the rhizomes have survived.
Half of my yellowgroove is looking very ratty with leaf branch and
culm death depending on the microclimate and wind exposure.
No sign of new shoots yet in SE CT USA

Any part of Connecticut being in Zone 6? I would have never guessed it.
Can you grow plants such as Pampas grass and Deodar cedars there? We
haven't gotten below 0°F here in many years and hope we don't again. I have
bananas (Musa basjoo) growing in my backyard for years. They're coming up
now too and didn't get killed all the way back to the ground like usual.
Take a look at a picture of them a few years ago in late October (got even
more now):

http://pages.prodigy.net/plantsman/mbasjoo1.jpg

David Sizemore