Old 25-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Cereus-validus

Default Dumb(?) Q

Not true that only monocots can be true bulbs.

There are a number of Oxalis that are true bulbs and some species of
Dicentra fit the definition as well. There are probably more examples among
the dicots.

The fruit of some poppy species are bulbous shaped but they are actually
dehiscent capsules.

"Brian" wrote in message
Yes thank you. The Papaveraceae are dicots. By definition only
monocotyledonous plants have bulbs. Nevertheless, had it been my wife, I
would have agreed with her!!
There is, however, a poppy known as the 'Tulip Poppy' [P. glaucum] and
this could confuse? The RHS does describe some of the fruits as 'bulbous'.
Best Wishes
"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
.. .
Don't be so quick to judge, Brian.

Maybe she knows something you don't?
Did you ever consider that?
Do you know the growth form of every species in the Papaveraceae?

"Brian" wrote in message
Must be nice to have a wife who is wrong at times? I've never had one.
Pretty but not pretty stupid!!
Ask her to forgive me~~Best Wishes
"Brian" wrote in message
No! But genetic engineering might get around to it someday!
Best Wishes Brian.
"Paul Paulsen" wrote in message
newsYPic.31627$GR.3951690@attbi_s01...
My wife says poppies can be grown from bulbs -- can they?
Thanks
Paul