Old 25-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Cereus-validus

Default help on IDing cactus seed

Sam, you are one cross-posting maniac.

You are asking the same freaking question on rec.gardens, sci.bio.botany,
uk.rec.gardening and who knows where else but it doesn't matter where you
post it because the answers will still be the same. You can't ID Cactaceae
from the seeds alone. Next time don't buy Cactaceae as mixed seed because
you are getting a pig in a poke and you shouldn't expect anything choice to
come from them. Expect to get plants of the junk species or unidentifiable
garden hybrids.

*************************

Cactaceae are extremely variable in seed form but it is very difficult to
identify species by the seeds because species in different genera can have
similar looking seeds.

Grow plants from the seeds. Wait until they bloom and then you can have them
identified.

"Sam" wrote in message
om...
hi folks,

i got 2 packets of mixed cactus seed, labelled as mixed seed. i wonder
if anyone could provide me with some pointers on how to ID them.

both packets were from different brands but they contain the same
three types. i take this as that either they are the 3 most common or
cheapest seeds or that they are the threee most easy to grow.

-one type looks like a small shrivelled pea.
-the other is small, black and shiny and bean shaped. reminds me of a
flea without legs
-the other is similar in shape and colour but much larger.about 5mm
long

Any idea what they are? Thanks

Sam