Old 25-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Diane Epps

Default Adding shredder paper to compost heap

"nambucca" wrote in message

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Franz Heymann" wrote:

Can one feed the shredded paper to the worms in a wormery, after
wetting it thoroughly?

Yes; works just fine. I got a couple of big bags of shredded stuff from
the (former) workplace's accounting department. Told the finance guy

the
worms would, please, like to have accounts receivable.
I wet it by dumping in the worm bin (plywood, with a couple coats of
urethane varnish) and sprinkling with the usual garden watering can with

"rose" on the spout. Takes several waterings over a couple of days to

get
well moistened, but very little effort. Scientific types can weigh the
paper and put it with the proper weight of water in a plastic bag and

seal
up for a few days.

Shredded paper of all kinds in a well mixed compost bin is fine ......just
add lots of buckets of urine the contents will rot down just fine

Also a layer of cardboard between each layer of grass , weeds, manure etc

is
great ......the worms love to make happy families in the layers of

cardboard
Once the compost is turned the whole lot rots down and disapears

I have been adding paper to the compost for years. I avoid the high gloss

magazine stuff as those are the nasty toxic inks. I also add the old oil
from the deep fat fryer which disappears with no trace. Used kitchen towel
is also a good. There is always the eternal argument about rats, but rats
will eat potato peelings apple cores etc so the only solution as I see it is
to have the heap as far from the house as possible and hope the rats stay
where the food is.