Old 26-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Elizabeth

Default Plse identify this tree....

Leyland Cypress?
Cupressocyparis leylandii.

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

"Jim Caldwell" wrote in message
I am in Texas, and there is a tree here that is not very common,

but there
are some around. It is an evergreen, but nothing like a pine,

they are sort
of like a 50-80 ft. tall bush. It doesn't have conventional

"leaves". It has
the finest, most feathery foliage of any tree I have ever

seen... it's like
feathery stalks, and the foliage extends almost down to ground

level.
Reminds you of a Peacocks' plume, the way the stalks of foliage

grow. The
foliage is always a dark green. You see these trees growing in

rows a lot as
a windbreak. The tree grows very tall, but doesn't have a wide

canopy. They
create very dense shade. I think they like water, as I see them

often
growing on the edge of ponds (no, it is not Cypress!) I thought

it was
called Cottonwood, but then I found an actual Cottonwood pic

on-line and it
is nothing like a Cottonwood tree. I would like to get some for

my back
fence, but I don't know what to ask for. Any idea what it is?