Old 26-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Tim Challenger

Default Birds - friend or foe?

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:46:43 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

I have a salad vegetable and herb garden.

I'm wondering if I should:

* Attract birds - so they eat the slugs, snails and other nasties that
prey on my veggies;

Sparrows and tits can eat thousands of aphids a day.

...or...

* Repell birds - so they don't eat my seedlings and spread bird shit all
over my produce.

Thanks in advance for any replies - and apologies in advance if this is a FAQ.

Do they actually damage the seedlings? If so, netting is an option.
If there are no birds, then the slugs, snails and aphids will get them
instead.
Bird shit is worth its weight in gold. I always wash my veggies before I
eat them. ;-)

--
Tim C.