Old 26-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Ann

Default What the holy mother of hell is this?

Salty Thumb expounded:

Ann wrote in
:

Darren Garrison expounded:

Found it growing on a cedar tree. Is it some sort of insect egg case?
Or a parasitic plant? Or an advance scout for an alien invasion
force?

I could get better pictures of it with my digital camera tommorrow, if
necessary (these were from my flatbed scanner).

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/wthmohit1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/wthmohit2.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/wthmohit3.jpg

Those are cedar apple rust fruits, it's a fungus that forms on cedars.
Very strange little things, aren't they??!?

pshaawww, don't let her fool you.

those are clearly the newly shed exoskeletons of the land dwelling octopus:
octopus squirrelbraineatingerensis

here is some more info on land dwelling octopi

http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus.html

Well of course they are, how could I have been so dense? ;-

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA