Old 26-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Asparagus

So here we are almost at the end of April, and my asparagus is still
showing just one weedy shoot. It did this last year, but I assumed that
was because it was the first season, but I was hoping for a bit more of a
show this year, and maybe even enough for a modest side-salad.

The ten crowns I planted have a sunny, well-drained bed which has been
mulched with compost and manure. The soil contained a lot of very well
rotted bonfire ash, and produces some fairly mighty weeds, and the crowns
were planted in trenches 'by the book'.

What more does it need, or am I just being too impatient?

My strawberries planted alongside are big, beefy, and looking enviously at
the asparagus bed. I'm starting to think I should just let them invade it!

The variety is Gijnlim, if that makes a difference.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall