Old 26-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Asparagus

So here we are almost at the end of April, and my asparagus is still
showing just one weedy shoot. It did this last year, but I assumed that
was because it was the first season, but I was hoping for a bit more of a
show this year, and maybe even enough for a modest side-salad.

The ten crowns I planted have a sunny, well-drained bed which has been
mulched with compost and manure. The soil contained a lot of very well
rotted bonfire ash, and produces some fairly mighty weeds, and the crowns
were planted in trenches 'by the book'.

What more does it need, or am I just being too impatient?

My strawberries planted alongside are big, beefy, and looking enviously at
the asparagus bed. I'm starting to think I should just let them invade it!

The variety is Gijnlim, if that makes a difference.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 26-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Peter Crosland

few days warm weather should see it appearing. Here in South Somerset the
first picking was at the weekend.
--
gee six jay en

Replace the words with the numbers to email me

Old 27-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

[...]

My crowns in the allotment have really only just starting to show. These
were grow from seed last year and planted this year. Just give them a
couple more weeks before you consider them gone.
Old 27-04-2004, 04:10 PM
D Russell

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.218...
[...]

We've managed to harvest two lots this year so far, in Oxon, but we've only
got 5 crowns. They are 5 years settled in though, and they have been better
every year they've been in the ground. Guess you just need a bit more
patience. I read somewhere a while ago that they like a little salt in the
ground. Something to do with being seaside plants really. Sounded a little
dodgy to me, but a small scattering has never done ours any harm.

Duncan

Old 27-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Sue da Nimm

So here we are almost at the end of April, and my asparagus is still
showing just one weedy shoot. It did this last year, but I assumed that
was because it was the first season, but I was hoping for a bit more of

show this year, and maybe even enough for a modest side-salad.

The ten crowns I planted have a sunny, well-drained bed which has been
mulched with compost and manure. The soil contained a lot of very well
rotted bonfire ash, and produces some fairly mighty weeds, and the

crowns
were planted in trenches 'by the book'.

What more does it need, or am I just being too impatient?

We've got two rows of ten crowns each. The Connovers Collossal have been up
for several weeks and they are exactly as named - collossal (and
succulent!). The Franklim have just started to put in an appearance and
won't be ready for at least another week. So, don't panic - different
varieties come at different times.

Old 27-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Victoria Clare

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in news:c6m03d$2pi$1
@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

So, don't panic - different
varieties come at different times.

not panicking yet, but have definitely got to the stage of leaning over the
bed muttering threats!

I think Gijnlim must be a late sort as we've had some lovely weather
recently. I don't mind that, but I do hope the one weedy sprout is
followed by better things. If they all come up like that again they are
risking the compost heap!

(sod's law says I'll then have asparagus growing out of my compost heap for
eternity, but I could live with that!)

Victoria