Old 26-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Rez

Default Anyone ever get Bermuda grass out of a garden?

In article , kenny wrote:
Here is my situation I have a 10,000 M/L sq ft garden in
Lufkin TX. My soil is a nice sandy loam. I have been
raising a garden in the same spot for close to 15 years.
When I started there was no bermuda grass in it but over the
years using the roto tiller I have managed to spread it over
aproximately 60% of the garden area. I till but it survives
in among the plants. I tried spraying the area with roundup
as a last resort last spring but it was a waste of money.
Is there any sage advice you can give to git rid of that
grass, or convince me that bermuda grass is not hurting the
garden other than my desire for a garden free of grass.

If you are using manure, especially horse manure, be sure the horses
are not being fed bermuda grass hay. The seeds survive the passage
thru the horse and sprout like little weeds wherever the manure is
spread. This is how I got all my bermuda grass! No rototiller
required.

There are chemicals that specifically kill bermuda grass, tho I don't
know if they are safe for an edibles garden. Myself, I just be
diligent with the potato fork. If you pull it up carefully, and it's
less than a year or two old, you can usually get most of the rhizome,
but in some soils it can get over 6 feet deep, so once established
it's really hard to get rid of.

~REZ~
(just passing through